Jackson Hospital’s history is integral to the history of medicine in Central Alabama. The hospital’s origin dates back to 1894 when Watkins Infirmary received its 1st patients at the hospital’s present location. On September 16, 1946, Jackson Hospital opened with 37 patient beds and 5 attending physicians.
Today, licensed for 344 beds, Jackson Hospital is a community not-for-profit hospital serving Montgomery and the Alabama River Region. Our comprehensive healthcare services include cardiac, cancer, neurosciences, orthopedics, and women’s and children’s care, along with 24-hour emergency services. It ranks among the largest hospitals in Alabama and is widely recognized for providing excellence in care through advanced technology and state-of-the-art standards.
The Joint Commission has awarded Jackson Hospital as a Center of Excellence in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) surgery, spinal surgery, AMI (heart attack) care, stroke care, and bariatric surgery. The Family Birth Center was designated as a Blue Distinction Center+ for its expertise and efficiency in providing first-class maternity care to the River Region. Blue Cross Blue Shield also awarded Jackson Hospital as a Blue Distinction Center+ for bariatric surgery, spine surgery, and hip and knee replacement.
Even with our leading-edge technology and facilities, we remain true to our mission of providing superior personal healthcare in a safe, compassionate environment to all members of our community.